Hello...!
This evening we have the 14th episode of the story Disguised. Happy Reading...!



Episode14:
                   Sandesh couldn’t sleep that night. He was a lot tired. Yet, he couldn’t get a wince. His mind was busy thinking of a way that could free Sukruthi and might give her a better life. All he had to do is make her understand and accept his words. He didn’t know what to say to her. Then, a thought struck to him which changed the course of his thinking and helped him find a way out of the problem.
“Do I love her?”
                                           *   *   *   *
                    Sandesh and Sukruthi were in a room, inside the pub. When Sandesh came, by looking at him Sukruthi understood that he wanted to discuss some serious matters. So, to get some privacy she had arranged this room which the pacifiers used to give ‘private dances’ to their customers. She thought they will be away from the eyes of the manager and other dancers only here.
                     They were both sitting on the only furniture available in that room; a bed. The room was quite congested. There was not much space apart for a bed and few feet of free floor where one could barely easily walk with their body stretched. Sukruthi was sitting on the head-end of the bedding, leaning to the wall and facing Sandesh. Sandesh too was facing Sukruthi with his one leg folded on the bed and the other left freely on the floor. They were sitting there for ten minutes; silently. Sukruthi kept staring at Sandesh’s face and kept ignoring it, looking abruptly at the empty wall. He understood he had to put out his words sooner or later. Finding a way to start the conversation, he spoke out.
“Err... Why are we in this room?”
“I thought you wanted to speak something important. As you know, we can’t talk much openly between those loud music and creepy looks. So, I arranged this room”
“I see”
“We can use this room for barely three hours. So, whatever you want to speak, now’s the time”
“Well, then. I was thinking of freeing you from this hell”
“Freeing me? Do I look like a captive to you? I love this place, Sandesh”
“No, you don’t. The only reason you’re working here, holding your breath, is because of its pay. You definitely aren’t happy here”
“Yes, I agree. I’m not happy here. And the reason for me to work here is its steady income. I’ve a family to look after, Sandesh. I won’t get any better job for my qualification in the outside world. I don’t want to see my family suffer. Let me alone suffer for them instead”
“Nobody needs to suffer, Sukruthi. There is a better life apart from these sufferings. All can be happy. You just have to keep your mind open for my word”
“Even if I want to run away from this place, it’s not easily done. In these places, WE are assets. Our employer won’t let us go just like that”
“You are not a slave. I can try talking to him. If it doesn’t work, we can get help from police”
“You think they will help us? These places are breathing freely because of their own protection. Some do it for bribe, while others do it because their higher officers order them to. There is no running away from this place”
“There has to be a way”
“There is a way. But, it’s merely a hope”
“I want to hear it”
“When we join, they make us sign a contract. It states, if an employee wants to quit, she has to deposit ‘ten lakh rupees’ to compensate the loss arising from her”
“Ten lakhs?!”
“Yes. It’s all well planned. One can’t save that much amount by working here in a short period. They have to do everything to accumulate it. And, by the time it’s done, the wish to get free will be completely destroyed. Because, they would’ve got adjusted by then to this environment”
“You can silently slip away from this place. Don’t come back when you go out for shopping. I can take you as far away as possible. They can never find you”
“Oh! They will”
Saying this, she stood up. She lifted her T-shirt a bit and slid her jeans on the left side of her waist. There was a mark of cut which was about an inch wide. It looked as if she had undergone a minor operation. She let him take a clear look at it before returning to her previous position. Then she continued,
“There’s GPS device in me. It keeps them updated about my location. As soon as we join this place, they put it inside our body and will take it out only when we fulfil the contract or most likely, when we die or grow old enough to get ourselves kicked out of this place”
“That’s barbaric. That’s also against your rights. How can someone do it? It has been six decades since we got freedom and still you guys are being ruled and used”
“Who is free in this world? When was the last time you lived freely? If freedom means not getting ruled, them no one is free. All are still being ruled in one or the other way. Employees are ruled by managers, managers are ruled by higher authorities, children are ruled by parents and later in old age parents are ruled by children. No one in this world can never be free, Sandesh. We are all slaves to a cause”
Sandesh was stunned to witness the cruelty that still existed in the modern age. Then he found his tongue.
“So, ten lakhs will do it?”
“What do you mean?”
“I’ll get the money. How soon can they free you?”
“Why would you do it?”
“You gave me my life. It’s my responsibility to help you get yours”
“You don’t have to, Sandesh. I’m already adjusted to this life. Even if you free me, the society may not accept me, I may not get along with it. It’s not that easy”
“There’s more”
She looked at him as if she knew what he was about to say. He continued,
“I’m attracted to you. Many tried to change me; failed. But, you succeeded. In fact, I let you succeed over me. My pride seemed nothing in front of you. It felt really good being with you. At altered my spirit. I want that to last long. I want to be with you forever and ever. I love you, Sukruthi”
“C’mon, Sandesh! There’s no such thing as love in this world. It’s just a physical attraction. I won’t say its lust. But, it definitely isn’t love. It’s a curiosity to explore a different sexed person, that’s all”
“It’s not just attraction. It’s purer than that. I know it”
“Okay. I’ll agree to that. But, is you loving me alone are enough? Don’t I have to love you back?”
Sandesh fell silent. Sukruthi looked deeply at him. She saw something which she hadn’t seen till that day. But, how could she accept this? He deserved someone better than her; she thought. She got up and moved towards the door. Stood there for a while; thinking something. She latched the door firmly and kept her hands on the door as to get strength from it. The sound made Sandesh to look at her direction. She reached for her T-shirt and removed it slowly, giving away a generous sight of her bare back to Sandesh. She then turned to Sandesh, removing her jeans. Sandesh was puzzled. He exclaimed,
“Wh... What’re you doing?!”
She smiled softly and came close to the bed. Leaning slowly, she pressed her lips on Sandesh’s.
                                           *   *   *   *
                      The couple were lying on the bed closely; tired. Nothing covered their body, except for a layer of sweat and a thin blanket. Sandesh was sleeping facing the roof, Sukruthi’s head on his chest. They were partly asleep, partly awake. The feeling that covered their souls is hard to put into words. Sandesh pulled Sukruthi closer and embraced her tightly, kissing her forehead. She gave no response. But, a soft, relaxed smile flashed through her face.

                                           *   *   *   *

1 comment:

  1. Finally got to read it amidst of aal the 'getting stuck' :P lovely write :) keep it up

    ReplyDelete